Sunday, April 5, 2009

Scissprtail festival

I was able to attend the Friday morning session and I hope this doesn’t sound like a rant, I just got back and I’m a little excited. I had attended two days last year and had hoped to see some of the authors I had been exposed to, but time constraints didn’t allow for that. To my dismay, Nathan Brown and Dorothy Alexander will be speaking tomorrow and I can’t make it. But I was able to see, Dr. Walling, Gordon Greene, Alvin Turner, and the truly gifted, Rilla Askew.
Dr. Walling was a replacement for Melissa Morphew so this was a pleasant surprise. Last year I got a chance to hear Dr. Walling read from the novel he’s been working on and when I heard it was him that would be speaking, I hoped it would be more from that. It was and I really enjoyed it, he has made me a fan of his work. He read from a bar (Coaches) scene in The Pound Club, the book deals with the emotions of men who have lost sons, it’s rugged description of the masculine emotions of his characters is heartbreaking . The personalities of the characters were varied but I felt a strong connection to his character Bones, he reminded me of someone I grew up with who subsequently shared the same nick name and the same kind of screw you attitude. He also made references to two of my favorite rock groups GNR, and Keith Richards. My favorite line, “sometimes you just have to let people travel their own road.”
Next, I heard Gordon Greene read from his, Colored Water and Other Illusions, I have to say, I loved the way he presented his work. He has a strong sense of emotion that just captivates you while he reads. My favorite title, Why Don’t Elephants Play Tennis? Left me in tears and aching to call my grandfather to tell him how much he means to me. My favorite line, “her pepper and salt hair graced a tired drawn face.”
Although Alvin Turner left me with an urge to research the Ada hangings of 1909, I didn’t connect with his work. I don’t know if it was the combination of being Ah struck by Gordon Greene, or the anticipation of Rilla Askew. (Maybe next year)
Rilla Askew, What can I say, I just love her words. She truly gets what it is to be from Oklahoma and expresses it in a way that will take your breath away. Not, Yah, that twister touched down yonder over on Jones’ trailer park, but the true beauty behind country charm. There is a difference between a Bar and a Club and many writers don’t see the colors that exist and the multifaceted patrons in a Bar. She not only sees it, she transfers it into written form and mesmerizes her audience. I don’t have a favorite line from her presentation because I was too intent on listening to her dramatic interpretation of Hat Trick that I forgot what I was supposed to be doing. Just know that I enjoy her work and my experience at the festival.

No comments: