Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Five 1st paragraphs

1. I have led what some might consider a dull life. The words in this essay will not inspire you or lead you to make some grand conclusion on the existence of man. I am small town America. I am a daughter, sister, a wife and mother. I have lived and learned; I have loved and been scorned. My story will never grace the pages of celebrity gossip. Other than under the obituaries, I would be shocked to see a portion of it in the Maysville Times. It is however mine and I claim it. I am not ashamed to say it, this is me and this is my story.

2. Whose is it? The words stung, but I really wasn’t surprised, to be honest I had expected it. I was twenty-four and up until that point, I had lived a fairly shallow existence. Going from one party to the next; drinking to the point of passing out and doing just about anything else I wanted. Why not? I worked two jobs, had an apartment, a car and I payed my own way. I was legally an adult and I had no one to answer to; until now. Now, I was going to have someone to answer to; I would be responsible for someone else. My shallow little existence had come to an end and I didn’t even know how much my life would change and how great this change would be for me.

3. My writing process is simple; I fly by the seat of my pants. I have a few quirky behaviors, like I am sure everyone else does, for the most part I just kind of wing it and hope it turns out. For me, writing is a work in progress; I have the desire to become a great writer but for now I am just putting in the time it takes to improve my writing skills. Having said this, its nights like these I question my decision of becoming an English major. I’m sure you all know the answer to this; corny as it sounds, whether we are here for the writing aspect or we want to inspire young minds to become avid readers it’s the love of great literature that keeps us coming back.

4. She came running across the parking lot, toothless smile beaming from ear to ear, holding what looked to be the spelling test we had been diligently studying for the past three days. I knew at an instant her hard work had payed off; she had received an A and most importantly the coveted gold star. Being the proud mother of a spelling genius, I placed the newly adorned test upon the refrigerator for all to see, and it was good. That was two years ago when Caroline was six; Then, it seemed so innocent to place that gold star on display. I truly believed I was correct in placing such importance on good grades for my children. I wanted to instill the value of hard work, that if you put enough effort into something it will pay off. It is my role as mother, which leads me to encourage them to do their best. So far, this has shown to be a very successful method; my children are all honor roll students. Having said this, it wasn’t the gold star I praised; it was the effort that went into receiving that star I am most proud of, the gold star was just frosting on the cake.

5. Its spring time flowers blooming, birds singing and its monster truck time. It’s that time of year when The Hot Rod Association comes to town, but more importantly it’s time to air their commercials. I can honestly say I have never been to a Monster Jam or witnessed the excitement booming from my T.V. screen in person; but I have always looked forward to that commanding voice telling me where I need to be on SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY!

No comments: