Thursday, February 5, 2009

On Running After One's Hat

I noticed in the essay On Running After One’s Hat the author, G. K. Chesterson, has several of the characteristics listed on the handout. Honesty, he shares his feeling of optimism for everyday occurrences. He feels it’s all about how you look at those little inconveniences and how you respond to them that may affect the quality of your life. His description of the man running after his own hat uses cheek and irony. There is a certain nostalgic feeling the reader may pick up on when he is describing London and where he grew up. The example of the little boy’s imagination leaves the reader with a sense of melancholy for their own childhood memories. Both of these examples are a part of the past, the local and the melancholy. I have always enjoy a story that may lead me to reflect on my own past and call upon memories I had forgotten.

No comments: