Saturday, February 28, 2009

Montaigne

On reading Montaigne the word unpretentious comes to mind. He readily admits he doesn’t hold all the answers. He conveys the message to his reader that this is my opinion take it for that, I like this vulnerability he offers. He’s just like everyone else trying to find his way through the written word; he offers his likes and dislikes and leaves it at that. My favorite line in Of Books “Knowledge and truth can lodge in us without judgment, and judgment also without them; indeed the recognition of ignorance is one of fairest and surest testimonies of judgment that I find.” This tells me he holds high regard for those willing to admit their ignorance and still searching for their answers. He seeks knowledge in an effort to improve himself rather than to impress others with his knowledge. I am indeed a fan of Montaigne

No comments: